Tuesday, December 19, 2006

Arcella sp1







Diameter shell: 100.8 µm
Diameter aperture: 33.6 µm

These three pictures were taken on the same specimen. I did not know how important is to take pictures of all sides of testate amoebas. It is a shame that I have only pictures showing the apical views of a lot of testate amoebas. I started taken pictures of all sides of these organisms a month ago. The three pictures I am showing here were one of my first attempts to have a complete series of all sides of any specimen. Although these pictures are not very good (I failed placing testate amoebas in the right position) at least they could be helpful for a preliminar identification.

In this specimen, I can barely see a crenulated aperture, but because the shape of the test, I could not say anything conclusive about its identification. This specimen is similar to Arcella leidyana Deflandre 1928 but with a smaller and less tall test.

No comments: